DIY Dice Rolling Tray How-To
One thing I love about board games, among other things, is that you can always combine your love for crafting with them. You can build inserts for your board games, beautify them with upgrades, paint the miniatures, and so on. Since dice rolling is a part of many board games and DnDs games, I soon realized that they make a lot of noise and that you often have to chase them since they tend to fall off the table or make a mess of other components on your board. The best way to resolve this problem is by using a felt-lined dice rolling tray. You can buy them in any shape and color, and some of them fold, too! But I wanted to make my very own DIY dice rolling tray, and in a cheap way!
First of all, let me tell you that my photos will use a different sized canvas frame than the one I used to make my dice tray, since I missed taking photos from that one! So, here we go!
This post contains affiliate links of products I recommend, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something, with no cost to you. Thank you!
Materials to make a dice rolling tray
- An old rectangular frame or a canvas with a frame, size about 20cm x 20cm
- A sheet of cardboard, slightly bigger than the inside of the frame
- A sheet of felt, as large as the cardboard
- Hot glue gun
- If you only have a canvas with a frame, your first step is to remove the actual canvas from the frame, keeping the frame intact. We have loads of them since my kids love painting with brushes!
- Turn the frame over onto its backside and place the piece of cardboard over it. Cut the cardboard into the appropriate size.
- Use your cardboard as a guide to cut the felt into the needed size.
- Glue the felt onto the cardboard.
- Glue the cardboard with the felt onto the back of your frame.
- Turn the frame over and there you have you DIY dice rolling tray!!!
Details to add to the DIY dice rolling tray
You can choose any color of felt that you want (there is no need to buy any fancy sewing felt for this craft)! I had a red one, so I used that. You can paint your frame with some wood stain to make it look better. It’s something I want to do, but I am afraid that I will stain the felt, so I guess it’s better to do such a thing before assembling your dice roll tray.
Another thing that one could do to make this wood dice rolling tray look more professional, is to line the inside sides of the tray with some same colored felt.
I was very happy with the results and the dice rolling tray gets a lot of use when we play our beloved board games!!
For more of our easy DIY and crafts ideas, click here!
One Reply to “DIY Dice Rolling Tray How-To”