Edible Christmas Gift Idea: Santa’s Sleigh Cookie Treat
There is still time to make this treat like a nice gift for any child! This year, I made some cookie sleighs! You can involve your little ones like I did, by giving them some cookie dough to make the cookies with cookie cutters or let them help with the festive decoration or fill the sleighs with goodies! I got this edible Christmas gift idea from the wonderful Lilaloa blog, where you can find their sleigh cookie templates and sleigh cookie cutters!
You will need:
- Your favorite sugar cookie or gingerbread recipe that doesn’t spread, or try my favorite eggless cookie recipe
- Sleigh cookie cutters or cookie sleigh template (you will need five pieces: two identical sleigh sides and two rectangular identical pieces for the back, and the front and one rectangular piece that is slightly bigger than the two others for the bottom).
- Your favorite icing recipe, or try my favorite eggless icing recipe
- Candy canes
- Decorations such as colorful sprinkles
- Food coloring (optional)
- Little treats to put inside the sleighs
Cut out all needed cookie pieces and bake them according to the recipe directions.
Steps to assemble the edible Christmas gift idea cookie Santa sleighs:
Step 1: Let your pieces cool down completely
Step 2: Put some icing on the bottom of the sides pieces and glue them to the bottom piece. Hold for as long as necessary until they stay in place. Let it dry for at least half an hour.
Step 3: Put some glue on the three sides of the last pieces and slide them to the front and the back of the sleigh. They should be glued with a slight angle so there will be more space for the candy. Keep them in place for 1-2 minutes and add icing if needed to close any gaps. Let it dry for at least 1 hour.
Step 4: Turn the sleigh upside down and glue on the two candy canes which you will have unwrapped before. Let it dry for half an hour and turn it on the correct side. Let it dry a little longer to be sure. I recommend putting the sleigh on a piece of cardboard for secure transportation.
Step 5: Decorate in any way you want. Let it dry and put in some candy.
Step 6: If you want, wrap it up and ready is your gift!
Have fun making this edible Christmas gift idea!!! I wish to each and every one of you a Merry Christmas! Enjoy this happy season to the fullest!
Eggless cookie recipe to make with kids for any occasion
Eggless icing recipe for decorating cookies with your kids
DIY Glitter Foam Christmas Ornaments with photos