Yes, we are still continuing and tireless making more Christmas crafts! One of my favorites each year is to make some DIY Christmas ornaments. We have made ornaments out of citrus fruits and out of white, glittery clay we made ourselves (get the recipe and instructions here) in the past, so this year I wanted to do some keepsake Christmas photo ornaments. They needed to be easy and cheap since we wanted to make a lot. I want them to be gifts for grandparents and friends, as well as for children from our kindergarten. The idea that stole my heart was DIY Christmas Glitter Foam Glitter Ornaments using photos of our kids!
Materials you will need
- Christmas glitter foam sheets – or is it foam glitter sheets? Anyway, I chose white ones, but you can pick any color you think will go with your tree! I think silver, gold, red or green glitter foam sheets would be great choices, too!
- Your frame template (you can find a lot of frame templates online and just choose what you like most. A bubble ornament shape, rectangles, ovals, stars, hearts, or one like I used – you can find it here – are all great ideas). You can make one by yourself, too, by drawing it on cardstock or by even using different sized cookie cutters as a guide.
- Hot glue gun
- Scissors, craft knife, pencil and ruler
- Glitter foam stickers or other embellishments (optional)
- Your favorite photos, printed dimensions 6×4,5 cm (height x width)
This post contains affiliate links of products I recommend, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something. Thank you!
Instructions to make DIY Glitter Foam Christmas Ornaments
To make these easy DIY Glitter Foam Christmas Ornaments, first, adjust your template so it will be the size of your choosing (and capable of framing your photos). I made mine so they would suit my 6×4,5 cm photos. Next, print out your templates on cardstock. You can print two templates – one to make your frame and the other to leave without cutting out the inner shape.
Preparing the glitter foam frames
Now it’s time for the glitter foam (I love that stuff!).
Using your template, pencil, scissors, and ruler, cut out two pieces: one frame and one back side for each photo. To cut the inside piece, I used the knife to make an “x” first, so it was easier to use the scissors afterwards.
Using your hot glue gun, glue your ribbon to the non-glitter side of your backside piece. Next, glue your photo onto the same non-glitter backside piece. Finally, put some hot glue on the back of your frame piece and glue it onto the back side piece so you will end up with a frame that both front and back is glittery.
Let it dry, cut off any excesses, remove any silicon residue and your beautiful Christmas ornament is ready to be given away or hung on your tree and bring joy!
Lovely keepsake: photo ornaments
I really loved how they turned out and they look so great on our tree! The kids loved them, too, as they got to choose their photos and hang them on the tree and they are really easy to make! I used black and white photos as well as colored ones and they all look gorgeous. You could also add some decorations to the frames and make them even more fun!
We made a lot of these DIY Glitter Foam Christmas Ornaments with photos and gave them away as presents to our kids’ grandparents!
Make them for your loved ones or just to have some fun and add it to your family Christmas craft traditions! They will make a wonderful keepsake for many years!!!
If you like this post, share it with friends who would love to know about it!!