I don’t know about you, but at our home, my kids seem to be always hungry and in search of snacks (not food, not meals… snacks!). Of course, we love sweet recipes like our favorite chocolate sugar cookies or our eggless sugar cookies! One of the other things we love is making our own simple waffle recipe. They even take them to school for, what else, a snack!
I tried a lot of different recipes out there and finally, I found the one that I have kept for the last couple of years. The waffles are fluffy and super yummy on their own, but they get unbelievably tasty when paired with some whipped cream, melted chocolate or chocolate spread, jam, ice-cream, or just some simple confectioners’ sugar. Or a combination of the above!
The most important thing to make great waffles with this waffle recipe
The key I have found to make great waffles is your hardware! Recipes you can adjust, but the waffle iron has to be the right type. One grill I got had some waffle iron pieces you could use instead of the grill iron pieces, but it didn’t work at all! I think the important things are the heat and the heaviness of the waffle iron. I then used an older model my mom had brought me from Germany, and it worked wonderfully! Crispy, fluffy waffles, full of flavor when using our favorite recipe!
Add more ingredients to the recipe
You could use this recipe as your sweet base recipe and add some other ingredients, like cinnamon, shredded apple, or other fruits. We prefer them plain and simple!
So here is our favorite, sweet waffle recipe!
Our favorite waffle recipe
- Laddle spoon
- Waffle iron / waffle maker
- 250 gr sugar
- 250 gr butter/margarine room temperature/melted
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanila sugar or vanilla extract
- 500 gr all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 500 ml fresh milk
- butter for the waffle maker
- Add the eggs into a mixing bowl and mix them.
- In a bowl, add sugar with the vanilla sugar and mix.
- Add the sugar mix and the butter to the eggs, and mix well until smooth and fluffy.
- In a bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix well. You will get a sticky dough.
- Lastly, add the milk to the mixture and mix until you get a smooth dough.
- Preheat your waffle maker well and add a little butter on both cook plates.
- Add a portion of the dough with the ladle spoon onto the cook plate. Don't overfill it because the dough might run over the edges.
- Remove the waffle when cooked and serve warm.
You can keep them fresh for a day or two by covering them with some plastic food wrap. If you want them to taste like just baked, just pop them in your preheated oven for a few minutes.
If you have some dough left, it can be frozen for later use! Also, the baked waffles can be frozen and stored in a freezer for quite some time, as well! Just put them in a freezer bag and into the freezer. When the time comes to serve them, get them out of the freezer and heat them in your preheated oven until crisp and you will have waffles as good as new!
Try them and let us know how you like them!
This post contains affiliate links of products I recommend, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something. Thank you!