We are always looking for delicious cookie recipes, especially around Christmas time! This year we made our all-time favorite Chocolate Sugar Cookie Recipe again!!! This cookie recipe is perfect for making cookies to decorate, as they hold their shape really well!
We love this Christmas cookie recipe since these are wonderful even for breakfast along with a nice glass of milk! And of course, they are ideal for Santa’s cookie plate!!!
How to make the Chocolate Sugar Cookie Recipe
The dough is very fluffy and smooth, and you might not believe it’s cookie dough! But after some time in the fridge, the dough will harden up to the point that it can be rolled out and cookies can be cut out easily. If it sticks, use some cocoa powder to roll it out, or cut them out directly on the baking paper!
For mixing, I use my Stand Mixer with the flex edge beater. I love this attachement, since there is no need to scrap down the edges of the bowl with it!
If you prefer light-colored, vanilla butter flavored cookies try out our favorite eggless sugar cookie recipe! It’s ideal for kids since they can help without you worrying about raw eggs! And if you want to decorate the cookies, try out our icing recipe, without raw eggs!!! You will love it!
This post contains affiliate links of products I recommend, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something. Thank you!
Chocolate Sugar Cookies Recipe
- Cookie cutters
- Clear plastic food wrap
- Backing paper
- Rolling Pin
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees C.
- In a large mixing bowl, add sugar, softened butter, eggs, vanilla, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Mix until combined.
- Add the flour one cup at a time, while mixing and allowing it to be combined each time.
- The dough will be fluffy and soft. Wrap it in clear plastic wrap and shape it into a ball with the wrap's help. Put the dough wrapped up into the freezer for half an hour or until the dough can be worked with.
- Take the dough out. To roll it out, line your surface with plastic wrap and cocoa powder. Another way would be to roll the dough out directly onto baking paper-lined sheets. Roll it out to be about 1/2 cm thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out your cookies.
- Put the cookies onto the baking paper-lined sheet and put it into the oven. Bake for about 8 minutes, depending on the thickness of your cookies. They will be soft to the touch when taking them out, but don't overbake them.
- Get them out of the oven and let them cool down on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Place them onto a cooling rack until they are completely cooled down. You can store them in an air-tied container and decorate them with icing.